Your membership in AAMFT allows you access to various member benefits, including consultations with AAMFT's legal and ethics staff.
Members in the following AAMFT membership categories are eligible for Legal Consultations: Pre-Allied Mental Health Professional Members, Allied Mental Health Professional Members, Pre-Clinical Fellow, and Clinical Fellow.
Legal Consultations DO NOT include:
- Interpretation of state or local law
- Assistance with reviewing or drafting documents
- Representation of members against third parties
- Consultation on issues unrelated to members' professional practice of marriage and family therapy
As with any legal issue, members are also encouraged to consult with a local attorney.
Response Time and Contact Information
The next time you are faced with a legal or ethics question, consult with AAMFT’s legal and ethics staff before you act. Consultations are available through a few different means:
- Ask your question via email at email@example.com
- Schedule a phone consultation at www.aamft.org/bookaconsultation (Please note that you must call the number provided in the confirmation email at the time scheduled. If you cannot make the appointment, please cancel the appointment so that others may be able to access that time.)
Legal and ethics consultations are typically available during the following hours:
Mondays: 10:00am through 4:00pm eastern time
Tuesdays: 10:00am through 4:00pm eastern time
Wednesdays: 10:00am through 4:00pm eastern time
Thursdays: 10:00am through 4:00pm eastern time
If AAMFT staff is unavailable to take a call when it comes in, callers will be asked to leave a voicemail for AAMFT staff, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org, or visit www.aamft.org/bookaconsultation. When leaving a voicemail or email, please provide your name, AAMFT member ID number, phone number, and your available times so that AAMFT staff can try to reach you at your convenience. Requests for consultations will be responded to as soon as possible, in the order they were received.
Other consultation resources for you include your licensing board, a local attorney, and your professional liability insurer.
Special Note: The attorneys employed by AAMFT represent AAMFT in all matters. If a member is the subject of an ethics complaint before the AAMFT Ethics or Judicial Committees, or if a member is involved in any other dispute with AAMFT, the attorneys will cease any legal consultation with the member and provide all necessary and appropriate representation to AAMFT.