This presentation will walk participants through the stages of Alzheimer’s disease, describing changes in the person experiencing the disease; changes and needs of family members living with the person; and interventions and resources needed by the family during each stage. A brief overview of the disease process and interventions that may slow the progress of the disease will also be given. Suggestions for life style changes to prevent Alzheimer’s disease will be summarized. 1 hour of continuing education is available.
1. Understand the Alzheimer’s Disease process and its effect on individuals .
2. Understand the stages of Alzheimer’s Disease and how to help families cope with each stage.
3. Understand how to minimize the chances of developing Alzheimer’s Disease.
The percentage of Americans aged 65 and older is estimated to increase to over one in five within the next ten years. However, under the current regulations, these Americans are denied Medicare insurance coverage for over 40% of the therapy providers in the country. In a recent study conducted by AAMFT, over 85% of Americans aged 65 and older surveyed indicated that inclusion of LMFTs and LMHCs as Medicare providers would help seniors.
Join AAMFT for this special bonus interactive advocacy session where we highlight other findings from the study and together, we take action urging our members of Congress to ask for their support in LMFT inclusion in Medicare. .5 hours of continuing education is available.
In this session, participants will:
1. Learn more about the outcomes of a recent study of older Americans and their attitudes, needs, and encountered barriers to mental health treatment.
2. Find out the most self-identified clinical issues facing older Americans today.
3. Learn more about potential inclusion of MFTs in Medicare.
4. Understand policy advocacy for the MFT profession.